Bookmates is a Manitoba based non-profit organization established in 1984 that promotes and supports family literacy through a variety of activities.
- We develop family literacy and learning programs in partnership with community organizations and parents
- We train people to facilitate family programs in their communities
- We offer skills development training for family literacy practitioners, early years staff in child cares and schools and others working to support families and young children in the development of learning skills
- We deliver programs for parents and children in partnership with community organizations
- We promote awareness of the importance of family literacy and learning in the early years
Our inter-generational programs are ideal for family resource centres, child care facilities, schools, libraries and other organizations that support families, and are designed to enhance the learning of young children, their parents and other caregivers.
Thanks to the families who came by to read a book or make a book with us at the Grant Park Shopping Centre on February 6. Special thanks to the Winnipeg Goldeyes Field of Dreams Foundation for their support for family literacy.
Check out some of our recent events.
The Very READ-y Project is a collaborative family literacy initiative of Bookmates and Manidoo Gi Miini Gonaan Inc. that supports the early learning community and families living in the Point Douglas neighbourhood of Winnipeg. With the generous support of The Winnipeg Foundation, the goal is to increase school readiness by introducing young children and their families to focused and intentional speech, language and literacy programming in a variety of community settings, while building on existing strengths.